Our History

Columbia Gorge Habitat for Humanity was started in 1993 by an interested local couple Jim and Lucile Torgeson. This first affiliate was called The Dalles Habitat for Humanity. In 2002, a second affiliate, the Mid-Columbia Gorge Habitat for Humanity, based in Hood River, was formed. From the beginning, there was a close relationship between the two affiliates including building together on a common site in Lyle, Washington.

In 2008, Habitat opened a Restore to help fund additional houses for qualified families. Thanks to the generous contibutions of materials and the help of many volunteers, it has grown and expanded until in 2012 it moved to its present location at 1001 W. 6th Street in The Dalles.

In 2014, it was decided to merge the two affiliates to create Columbia Gorge Habitat for Humanity. On July 1, 2014, the merger was completed. From those humble beginnings, Columbia Gorge Habitat for Humanity, together with the generous people living in the Columbia River Gorge, have built 25 houses within the Columbia Gorge. Together we build homes, communities and hope in Hood River, Klickitat and Wasco counties.

Our homes are located in The Dalles, Lyle, Odell and White Salmon. Currently we are building on sites in Lyle, Washington and in the Wilson Street Subdivision, The Dalles. We continue the minor home repair program started by the Mid Columbia affiliate. This program has focused on helping eligible homeowners stay in their homes by providing handicap ramps, grab bars, minor roof repair, etc.